Photos
1/24

Sujet JOMOX Sunsyn os2.0

• 8 réponses
  • 5 participants
  • 955 vues
  • 5 followers
1 JOMOX Sunsyn os2.0

Citation : this text is from the "Products 2008" flyer from JoMoX as distrubuted during Frankfurt Musik Messe:

'Later in 2008, we will bring out a final firmaware upgrade for SunSyn. It will add some important functions as Midi Wave import by Sysex dunp and some other improvements in OS like better autocalibration functions and better Midi performance. It will also address the system stability and offer a stable firmware bios that won´t be able to crash and frustrate our valued customers. A processor update is required, too, and so it´s neccessary for existing SunSyns that they will be shipped to Jomox or to an authorized service station in order to install the hardware upgrade.

This also implies that this update is not for free, but it will offer years of trouble-free enjoyment of this wonderfull sounding unique bolide synth.'

En bref et en francais, fin 2008 on pourra payer pour un Sunsyn stable avec une implementation midi amelioree et surtout la possiblite d'importer des formes d'ondes via la connection midi.

:fete:
Y a plus qu'à attendre le prix de remplacement du CPU ............ et là j'ai peur...........
D'un autre cote quand je lis Jurgen sur le group Yahoo Jomox, je n'y crois plus tellement a cet evolution vers un OS2.0... :shootme:

Quand un internaute lui demande pourquoi il n'y a plus de Sunsyn en production il repond

Citation : Very simple:

1. a very essential part ( the vcas used - there are 20 on each voice card
plus 20 on the main board -180 per SunSyn) is obsolete and not produced any
further. There is no direct replacement, so I would have to redesign the
whole circuitry. The sunsyn voice board layout which I made 10 years ago was
the worst thing I ever did...it's dense like a persian carpet. sometimes I
say to myself it's a wonder that it works;)

2. The processors that were used are fucking old and too small in power and
many more little issues. a COMPLETE redesign is necessary. Also a complete
new OS programming.

3. The whole market for these bolide synths is fairly overestimated...it's a
big rush now because none has one to sell. But if I go down and make it, it
will take me years though and once it's finished, the market is elsewhere.

4. It's a damned fucking job to BUILD sunsyns. Every build is a repair
because this monster is just way too complex and there are millions of
possible errors. And these errors OCCUR according to murphys law. It took me
(and I'm fast, trust me) about 2 days to build one SunSyn from scratch if I
count all the time of failure search, modifications, repairings and more. I
have had only 1 guy in 10 years that was able to make them (almost) alone
without my help.
I forgot to say...SunSyns don't grow on trees;)

5. discussions about OS bugs. There were times when many people were yelling
at me about SunSyn bugs and noises, tuning instabilities, VCO mod offsets
and more....and I have to say, yes, they were right up to a certain point.
But I'm not masochistic, too and it didn't make fun, honestly. I would do it
better now...but that would require to make a redesign.

6. it's not that easy to really make money on such a thing...I could tell
you some stories if we were sitting in a bar and having a drink;)

7. My life time is just too precious to make another one. Why should I do
this? I have made it once, and it would not be better if I did it another
time. There are easier ways to make your living than to build and sell
sunsyns. It's made with blood, sweat and tears...

8. SunSyn was always a bit backward oriented...it's an analog poly synth
with some features and a great sound. But it's like refurbishing oldtimers.
I want to go forward with new ideas, admittedly.

Guess why the Wave hadn't been produced any more? same issues...time, money,
human resources, market. To expensive, too sensitive, too much risk. It took
me years, but I think I've learned my lessons and almost went bankrupt.

Hope this was an honest and exhausting explanation:-))

JM

PS....and I didn't say I would never make another synth...but not likely a
SunSyn;)

En resumé, en français ça veut dire quoi ?

Citation : Quand un internaute lui demande pourquoi il n'y a plus de Sunsyn en production il repond

Wow, merci Vibes pour cet extrait.
C'est si rare de voir une entreprise communiquer avec autant de franchise, même si JoMox n'est pas une entreprise comme les autres. C'est rassurant d'entendre un discours humain en lieu et place de la bouillie marketing habituelle.

Je retrouve par moments ce genre de relation entre Dieter Doepfer et sa communauté d'utilisateurs.

Que vive nos JoMox, Elektron, Doepfer, PlanB, Dave Smith, Vermona et tant d'autres ..

Citation : En resumé, en français ça veut dire quoi ?

Qu'il a donné tout ce qu'il a pu pour produire le sunsyn, et qu'au final il devrait le re-designer pour corriger les bugs. Ce qu'il ne fera pas.
Il a fait un analo polyphonique une fois dans sa vie il a envie de passer à autre chose vu le travail énorme que c'est.Et pour explorer des nouveaux horizons sonores. Et peut être aussi pour pas couler sa boite...

Citation : C'est rassurant d'entendre un discours humain en lieu et place de la bouillie marketing habituelle.

C'est rassurant des commentaires comme ça aussi. : ]

Un pti tour vidéo chez Jomox ?
http://www.wiretotheear.com/2008/04/28/wire-to-the-ear-takes-you-on-a-visit-to-jomox/

Citation : Ce qu'il ne fera pas.

t'y crois a cet OS2.0?
Ben j'en sais rien du tout mais il a pas l'air motivé et je connais pas vraiment les bugs du Sunsyn.
Il me semble qu'en multi c'est pas la joie, c'est bien ça ?

Pourquoi pas un OS 2 avec quelques améliorations et certains bugs lié au hardware qui restereont ? pure spéculation :noidea:
Sur le site Jomox on y croit de plus en plus a cet OS 2.0...
:aime2:

Citation : Because of the lots of inquiries we got right now we want to answer some frequently asked questions about SunSyn in order to avoid rumors:

1. Are SunSyns not manufactured any more?
Sadly not. There are some very essential and central parts at high quantities that are not available any more. The costs and efforts for a full re-engineering are too high because it would turn out to be a complete new development.

2. Will there be another run?
We still have some assemblies from the old production run that can be build into SunSyns after completion of the 2.0 update. However, it is a rather small quantity of about 20 units.

3. When does the update 2.0 come?
We are currently busy with programming and it's planned to get ready still in 2008. A more precise date is impossible to tell.

4. Can I preorder a 2.0 SunSyn?
However, no. There are too many technical details still unclear. When the update is finished, we will build the remaining units and sell them in our webshop. This article will be orderable directly or being produced on order. The last SunSyns will not be available through dealers but only on direct sales basis from Jomox.
All interested people and Jomox customers will be informed by an email newsletter when we say "go".
So if you are interested, please subscribe to the email newsletter here on the Jomox website.

5. What will update 2.0 contain?
The update focuses mainly the security and updateability of OS. Complete crashes with service maintenance afterwards caused by wrong OS dumps will be history with OS 2.0. Our goal is to have a fine and stable running instrument for years to come. Some improvements on performance and additional functions will also be implemented:
-Wave Import by Midi dump
-PC/MAC Midi Sysex editor for SunSyn waves
-New RCO wave functions and modulations
-Better tuning algorithms
-Improved LFO functions and modulations

6. How much will update 2.0 cost?
It will require to get the old SunSyn sent to Jomox because some hardware modifications have to be performed. The price for the update including the labor at Jomox will be about 300-400 EUR plus shipping plus eventual customs.

7. Will there ever be a new SunSyn?
You should never say never, but a new big complex analog polyphonic synthesizer is not foreseeable at horizon on short term. Of course, Jomox will continue the work on analog sound producers and also synthesizers. We will supply you with news about it here!

With warm regards,

The Jomox team